Friday, April 18, 2014

Magic binding

finished 36" x 47"--see the tiny gold flange?
A couple weeks ago I found a tutorial here at 52quilts.com for "Susie's Magic Binding."  Aunt Marti's instructions show how to sew a two-fabric binding on a quilt completely by machine, and a little flange appears on the right side of the quilt.   I first tried the procedure with a small sample, and today I used it on this lap quilt.  
It worked!  and it looks great in person.  (double click photos for close-up views)  I'll be doing this again some day--not for every quilt, but there will be times when I really want that little accent of added color.  

More detailed instructions and helpful photos are at the link above, but here are the basic steps (condensed a bit).

(1)  Cut main binding fabric strips 1-1/2" wide--the perimeter of the quilt plus 8-10 inches.  (I needed 4 WOF cuts.).  Seam the strips together, end-to-end, with mitered seams to reduce bulk.
#1 and #2--two different widths of strips


 (2) Cut the accent or flange fabric 1-3/4" wide. (I used gold.) Again, cut as many as needed to total the quilt's perimeter plus 8-10".  Seam them together, end to end. 



#3 seam main fabric and accent fabric together
(3)  Sew the main fabric to the accent fabric lengthwise with 1/4" seam, right sides together. 

(4)  Press the seam toward the main fabric, and then press the binding in half, wrong sides together, with raw edges lined up.   
Because the accent/flange fabric is cut wider, it shows up on the front when the binding is pressed. 

#4 -- press binding in half.   The flange/accent appears. 
(5)  Prepare the quilt by trimming away extra backing and batting.  Then sew binding to the BACK of the quilt, with the main fabric facing down and accent fabric facing up.  (See detailed instructions on the link  re: the corners and joining the ends of the binding.)

#5 -- sew binding to BACK of quilt, main fabric down
 (6)  Pull the binding to the front and topstitch through the flange with matching thread.    All done!
#6 -- pull binding to the front and topstitch through the flange

Enjoy the holiday weekend.   We see 70 degrees in our forecast.  That's wonderful!

11 comments:

The Quilted Finish ph 02 63310084 said...

Thanks for sharing this! I will give it a try next time I do a binding on something smallish. I went and checked out the link to the original tutorial, yours is pretty good!! Love your lap quilt too.

Janet O. said...

I've pinned this for future reference. Someday I want to try it. Sure would be nice to get a good looking binding by machine!
Thanks, Vivian!

Julia said...

Great idea for the binding Vivian, I shall try it next time, great for kids quilts and donation quilts too
Julia ♥

Amy said...

I did this for the first time earlier this week. The results were excellent. Though it took a little longer in making the binding, attaching it to the quilt was at record speed. I prefer a hand-stitched binding, but I agree with you that this will be used again when I want that small pop of color.

Quilt Hollow said...

It's been years since I've done this. Thanks for reminder, yours looks perfect!

AnnieO said...

I've got one of these bindings all prepped for a doll quilt (pink lemonade), but want to use the same method for some placemats. Love the button fabric in your binding! Your binding looks just great.

Rebecca in AK said...

Oh!! I like this! That little accent color looks so nice! It sounds pretty simple and your directions are very good. Thank You

Marei said...

I've done this binding a couple times and really enjoy the "dab" of color it offers on the front of the quilt. And it's so easy to do.....gotta love that.

Kyle said...

Great looking binding. I agree, there's a time and place for everything. It might be something I'd like to try.

Shirley said...

Great idea and tip for the binding Vivian. I may give it a try.

Lori said...

That looks so fantastic and you make it look so easy!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails