Saturday, April 26, 2014

Hiding in plain sight


These safety pins are pretty.  But they're also a potential hazard.  Let me explain.  

Look closely at the three unquilted sections of the blue Sonja's Windows block below.  Ignore the top left blue quadrant and ignore the blue sashing (and ignore the FMQ--it's not very pretty).   
Count the pins

Do you see 11 basting safety pins?
No ?  Well, neither do I.  I have trouble finding them in the photo, and I had to watch very closely for them while quilting this quilt.

A week ago I had a marathon pin basting session involving 4 large and one smaller quilt.
Unfortunately -- with one quilt left, I ran out of my shiny, silver safety pins.
Fortunately --  I had backups--a bag of pretty purple, green, fuschia, and navy safety pins.
Unfortunately -- the unpinned quilt was the darkest, my Rainbow Sonja's Windows quilt which I wrote about here and here.   This is NOT a quilt where using dark, painted pins is the preferred choice.    

I've safely finished the quilting, and I didn't hit a pin, but I had to s-l-o-w  d-o-w-n and stop more often, looking for the closest ones.  Little Nellie (my HQ Sweet 16 mid-arm quilting machine) would not have taken kindly to putting a needle through a basting pin. 

Enjoy the weekend, my quilting friends.  

11 comments:

Kindred Quilts said...

The pins look so pretty in that big pile... but I can see why it was difficult to quilt using them! In the end, mission accomplished!

Janet O. said...

Oh, wow--I am amazed that you made it through that one without a mishap. My old eyes would have struggled to see those pins. I don't even trust myself with the shiny silver. I have to put those brightly colored plastic backs on my basting pins or I am sure Gidget would have had an accident by now! : )

AnnieO said...

I can't see them either on the quilt! Glad you made it through finally :)

Karen said...

That's kind of scarey! Glad you made it thru.

claire witherspoon said...

Hey Vivian, It looks great to me, but camo safety pins are scary! Sounds like you've been really productive! "Little Nellie" I like that! My quilting machine is sometimes Big Bertha and sometimes Nellie Bell (remember Sky King's side kick's Jeep) depending on if she is behaving or not! lol. I hope Spring is warming up for you! cheers, Claire W.

Rebecca in AK said...

Oh my! I can't see them either. I would have been really nervous quilting around those camouflaged pins. By the way, I think your quilting looks great!!

Raewyn said...

I wouldn't have thought of that issue with the pins! Glad you and Nellie made it to the end safely!

Lori said...

Of course, your "emergency" pins just happen to match your quilt wonderfully! Yikes! Glad you took it slow and kept an eye out.

Kyle said...

That's very interesting and really could have been a huge issue. Glad you went slow, but got it done.

Julia said...

What a great issue that could have been, but you must have navigated around them very well, to miss one...phew!!

Quilting looks great to me!

Julia ♥

Shirley said...

I didn't notice the pins until you pointed it out. I expect they work wonders on different colours. Glad you managed without misshap.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails