Tuesday, October 8, 2013

AQS show and Paducah too

pretty repro fabrics and a book to go with them
 The AQS show in Des Moines was a tiring but exhilarating day.  After a 2-hour bus ride with fellow guild members, the rest of the day was filled with a lot of walking, a lot of vendors, and of course, many quilts to soothe the quilter's soul.

Before I left, I contacted my credit card co. and let them know my plans.  There are stories of ladies who go to a quilt show, make purchases from different vendors, and by the third or fourth purchase, the credit card has been shut down.  The customer service sees rapid purchases connected to different states, and they think the card has been stolen. 

Lori Smith and Primitive Gatherings purchases
My credit card worked properly all day.   I didn't repeat a single state with purchases.  Primitive Gatherings from WI;  Superior Threads from UT;  Bloc-Loc from CO;  Lori Smith from MN;  Yellow Creek Q. Designs from IL (book I've been wanting, signed by one of the authors and her mother, to whom the book was dedicated);  and a fabric shop from WV.  
(my photos all enlarge with 2 clicks)

Dear friends gave me a 12" quilt stand as a retirement gift, and I'm anxious to fill it.  Three Lori Smith patterns will help me do that with her Quilt Squares designs.   I have her patterns all over the house, and I didn't really need more.  Any 12" pattern would do, but her booth was just too tempting.

"Better With Cheddar" with new horizontal strips
Tomorrow morning DH and I will leave for  Georgia, our first trip to visit DS and his family since they moved back to the USA from Germany.  It's a +18 hour drive, and we'll split the drive into two days. Wed night will be spent in Paducah, about 10 hours away. We won't do anything quilt-related in Paducah (getting into town too late to visit the museum), but I'll enjoy just knowing where we are.  

free project from Lisa Bongean
I'm getting projects ready for the car.   I'll be hand quilting my little "Better With Cheddar" made with leftover scraps. 

A new project is started, "Old Glory Gatherings" a free project from Lisa Bongean (Primitive Gatherings).  I found a link to download it here on Janet's blog, AKA "Rogue Quilter." (Link is near the bottom of that post).   Stitching the last of the background, and hope to have the applique ready to hand stitch in the car too.  (Thanks for the link, Janet.)

a few of my castle wall blocks finished way back when
I'll also take yo-yos, embroidery blocks for a future quilt, and some EPP that's been put aside for many months.  I'll enjoy working again on my castle wall blocks (using a lot of William Morris style fabrics) that I wrote about here over 2 years ago. 

Can't wait to hug our two little grandchildren!
We're getting ready to leave, Maddie and Drew!!
See you soon !!



16 comments:

Quilt Hollow said...

Good idea about notifying credit card co. This actually happened to us while in CA one year visiting family. Yummy purchases...safe travels!

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Very smart tip notifying the credit card company.

Fun new projects that you gathered at the quilt show.

What a lovely time of the year to travel.

Carolyn

Exuberant Color said...

I love Lori Smith's patterns too. It's the photos on the package that grabs me. I love traditional blocks and she always makes them look wonderful.

Have a great (and safe) trip!!

Quilter Kathy said...

So glad to hear that your credit card is holding up well under the pressure! LOL
Love the takealong projects, especially the "better with cheddar" quilt...yum!

Kindred Quilts said...

Are you as anxious to make something from the Kindred Spirits book as I am? It will be hard to decide which pattern to make first!
Lori Smith's booth was wonderful! So wonderful to see all the models.
It was a fun show!
Happy and safe travels to you!

Raewyn said...

Looks like you had a great day at the show... lovely purchases, bet you will have fun with them. I hadn't heard about that happening with credit cards before, it's good yours responded well to the airing. I hope you have a fabulous trip - very exciting!!

Karen said...

Have a wonderful and safe trip. Glad you found a few goodies at the show.

Jean said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip! Have fun!

Cardygirl said...

Have a good trip...love your purchases!

Julia said...

Love all that you bought.
All that will keep you busy for quite some time.
Have a great trip, stay safe.
Julia ♥

AnnieO said...

Great bunch of purchases there! Hope your trip is smooth and oh-so-enjoyable. Your hands can stay busy between hugs and during naps:)

Lori said...

ThaT SOUNDS LIKE A FUN ROAD TRIP!!

Cathy said...

You are the second quilter I know who has picked up the book Kindred Spirits. Must be a good book. I love all the projects you are working on. Hugs

Dawn said...

That's very exciting to have the grand kids in country. Good times are sure to follow.
Travel safe and enjoy all all of your purchases. Looks like some very good choices.

Lesley said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day at the show. Safe travels and enjoy all those grandkid hugs!

Carole in Nebraska said...

Really like the change on "Better with Cheddar". Thanks also for the info about the credit cards; something I never thought about.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails