Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Playing with scraps

"Better with Cheddar" from scraps -- 18-1/2 x 24"
Two little doll quilt tops finished today, one from a stack of UFO 4-patches, and the other using leftovers from a 3-year-old Civil War repro fabric project.

I wrote about the "Pink Patches" quilt in my last post, my version of a quilt in a Kathleen Tracy book
"Pink Patches" -- 18 x 22 inches

The "Better With Cheddar" doll quilt is made from scraps from a small quilt that I wrote about here and here  in 2010.  There were just too many diamonds and strips to throw away.

I'm rethinking the two horizontal tan strips. I've already made them narrower than originally cut, but I don't think they look like they belong.  Right now the two strips seem to scream "HERE WE ARE. LOOK AT US!"  

Three options -- (1) Leave the two tan strips where they are.  (2)  Make the two strips narrower,   (3)  Sew one narrow tan strip on each side of the shapes on the ends, before I add the dark cheddar borders.  Opinions?   I always appreciate outside eyes and suggestions.   

12 comments:

Janet O. said...

Two great doll quilts, Vivian!
Better with Cheddar is my favorite! Can there be a fourth option? How about replacing the tan strips with more of that dark cheddar border? Just a thought.

Tammy said...

If the tan strips are two inches in width, cut them in half and add a 1/2 inch finished strip of the dark cheddar border in-between tan strips. Good luck.

Barb said...

Love your little quilts.
I'm with Janet opinion.
I also like the idea of taking them out all together and leave the pieced strips, then border.
such a cute 4 patch!!!

Kindred Quilts said...

Pink Patches is just precious! I like the options presented by Janet, Tammy, and Barb... the tan strips as they stand now, are a bit distracting. Keep us posted!

Amy said...

Love them both! Here is my suggestion: Applique or embroidery in those strips - maybe some small, fall leaves? Or a favorite quote or poem? Or some asters?

Sherry said...

I'm with Amy. . . I think some applique or embroidery would be perfect in the tan strips.

I like that the strips are there but they do seem a bit "naked" at the moment.

Quilt Hollow said...

Cute and cute! Just adore these little instant gratifications!

Anya said...

I agree that if you add some embroidery to the tan strips, they won't look so naked. Maybe with black thread.

claire witherspoon said...

Hi Vivian, Ya, I think you are right, it needs something to tie those strips in. Repeating is always good I think I would go for option 3. The pink patches is very cute! cheers, Claire W.

Lesley said...

Love your doll quilts, especially Pink Patches.You have lots of opinions here...I like the idea of a bit of embroidery or applique in the tan strips. Will look forward to seeing what you decide!

Lori said...

Great quilts! I'm not done reading your blog yet, so I'll wait and see what you decided to do on the tan colored strips. I have to agree that they competed with the lovely scraps.

Karen said...

I may be too late, but I would add 2 more to the sides. The pink and brown is perfection!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails