Thursday, November 8, 2012

Placemats on the wall

placements --each approx 12 x 16" finished
The past few days have been spent making placemats for Meals on Wheels.  As mentioned here, our guild does what many others do.  The mats are a surprise for the meal recipients.

I enjoy the challenge of combining scrappy strips, partial blocks, assorted chunks, varied colors and themes, and a bit from my stash, turning those into usable placemats.  I'm especially thrilled to use leftover batting, whether chunks or strips.    

I've finished these in various ways, but this method  works best for me --
-- make the top and trim to the finished size
-- stack the oversized backing, a little-too-big batting, and top; pin together
-- quilt as desired.  I do NOT quilt past the edge of the top
--carefully trim away excess batting
--trim backing to 7/8" on all sides.
--pull backing to the front on both short ends, fold under, topstitch
--do the same on the long top and bottom edges.

My design wall is covered with the placemats made during this session.  I have enough leftover colorwash strips from somebody's project to make 3 more.  Then I'll stop.  There are other things to be doing.
 
I'm not a wool project lady.   I've never tried one.  But one project has caught my eye, and I may gently test the waters and see how it goes.    More later.

8 comments:

Shirley said...

That is a very impressive design wall and a great idea to cheer up someone's meal time. I do admire how you use up your scraps. I am watching and learning.

Karen said...

What a busy girl you are!! Doesn't it feel great to be productive and generous at the same time? Thanks for sharing a great idea. What size are they?

Janet O. said...

This is a great idea. I can't believe all the things you sew up and give away. So generous with your time and resources.
I am curious to see what wool project enticed you. I'm not into wool, either, but one project I saw this summer almost had me. : )

Merilyn said...

What a great idea to make placements for Meals on Wheels! They are all wonderful and I'm sure will be gratefully received!

AnnieO said...

Oh, how fun to be part of this surprise. I like your method for bring back to front and finish off quickly Regular binding would be time consuming for this many placemats!

Barb said...

wow - your collection of mats is great! what a worthy cause and how lovely of you!

Lori said...

You've been busy! I'm sure the placemats will be a bright spot in a shut ins home!!

Julia said...

They look great Vivian... a very lovely surprise for the people who can't get about.
Love the nice way you finish them off, no binding.
Julia ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails