Friday, November 16, 2012

Call out to a no-reply blogger

pattern found in "the Best of Scrap Quilting Made Easy"
Bloggers get a surprise comment now and then--a response to an old post.

I got one today.  A lady asked where to find the pattern for this "Exploding Star" and asked what fabrics were used.  I clicked "reply" and there was the dreaded noreply-comment@blogger.com
I'm always disappointed when I see that.  I want to reply, and I can't. Her comment was connected to a blog that's not active.  There's no e-mail given anywhere that I can find, so I'm trying this method to contact Starrlite59 of Karen's Corner of the World.

This energetic, dramatic quilt was made by Aaron, a  friend's son.   I wrote about him and his quilting last year in the post  "Another Guy Who Quilts."   If you haven't read or don't remember the post, check it out.  You'll be rewarded with a wonderful trunk show from a very talented young man--a husband, father, teacher, and all-around talented guy.  His mom (my friend Chris) showed him the basics, gave him some starting supplies, and away he went.  The quality of his work is stupendous.   He's fearless.   You should see his FMQing!

found in my button boxes--7/8" and larger
This exploding star quilt is made from 784 HST.  Nothing more.  Just 784 HST.  He used scraps, and scraps, and more scraps.   Isn't it wonderful?!?  The source of the pattern is The Best of Scrap Quilting Made Easy from House of White Birches, published in 1997 and in 2002.  New and used copies are available on Amazon.

In my last post, I complained that I didn't have enough large black buttons for my 5 snowmen, and they're expensive.  Barb commented that she made a long snowman with a variety of buttons (not all black). So, I sorted through my old buttons again.   Tah Dah!!  I have plenty.   Thanks for the encouragement to mix my buttons, Barb.

Back to my rotary cutter.  This is a week for firsts.  First, projects with wool, and now I'm cutting my first all-flannel quilt.  I think a set of 18 flannels from the same line have aged long enough on a shelf.

12 comments:

Janet O. said...

That is a gorgeous quilt! I am impressed with this man's skills and his determination to do things that stop many other quilters. Amazing.

Dee W said...

I saw this quilt at a local shop that I frequent. She didn't have the directions any longer, but could tell me the name of the book. So I interlibrary loaned it. Now I'm going to go to her shop and spend a few "open sews" to get it made.

Shirley said...

I remember the post well Vivian, Aaron is certainly a very talented and competent quilter. Fabulous quilt.

Debra Anger said...

Isn't it wonderful when you are able to get these great ideas from other bloggers! this is why i love blogging it never ends.. the resources, the incentives, and the friendships.
P.s I think blogger has been messing around a little. my account went to no reply on its own a friend emailed me to let me know I would not have known if she hadn't told me.

Needled Mom said...

That is a gorgeous quilt!

AnnieO said...

That's a lot of HSTs! Love the controlled scrappiness of that quilt. Hope your no reply reader comes back to find out.

The buttons will be great--after all, don't snowmen wear used scarves and hats that don't match?

Playing with flannels seems appropriate given the calendar :)

Raewyn said...

Thank you for the link back to the post showing Aaron's work. He is very talented.

Karen said...

The URL for Karen's Blog is:

http://karenscorneroftheworld.blogspot.com/

Another Karen

Julia said...

Amazing quilt...Nice to see men quilt too..
Julia ♥

Merilyn said...

What a great quilt!!!! I think the idea of using different buttons for your Snowman project will work very well!!!!

Barb said...

you've got a great collection of large buttons! love those pink ones ;)

I've had some of those no-reply blues myself. sigh**

Ruth said...

Thank you for including a link to Aaron's quilts. What a lot of really great quilts.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails