Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Heed the warning

Warnings here and there tell the seamstress or quilter not to blow into this or that.  As careful as you'd try to be, your breath has moisture.  Instead -- use canned air,  or use a soft brush,  or use a Q-tip.  Keep a dry environment.  No moisture.
Behold the photographic evidence.

Side by side are my old (left) and new (right) bobbin cases for my Brother 1500.  When I'd change the bobbin, I would gently blow into the bobbin case to get out lint.  Yes, I was gentle, but look carefully at the left bobbin.   See those uneven, brown marks here and there around the bluish steel metal spring?  That's rust, my dears.

The older bobbin case still works OK, doing whatever it needs to do with controlling bobbin thread tension, but I really don't want rusty parts.   So I ordered a new bobbin case from my Brother dealer.  I didn't tell him why.  I've kept my guilty secret to myself -- until now.    

14 comments:

Darlene said...

Fabulous warning and one we should spread far and wide. I keep soft small paint brushes handy to clean my machine and bobbin case. Q-tips ae a wonderful idea, too.

I'll keep your secret. :-)

Barb said...

Thanks for the tip!!

Denise in PA said...

OMG, I do that all the time!! You better believe I won't do it anymore! Thank you o:)

Janet O. said...

I won't tell. And thanks for the warning!

Julia said...

I have a habbit of doing that Vivian...no more blowing in the bobbin case, must go check it now.
Julia ♥

Raewyn said...

I have been told not to do that - but sometimes I forget... thanks for the reminder. It's interesting to see the difference between the two.

Shirley said...

I shall heed the warning. Have never given it a thought before.

June said...

Yes, I do blow out my bobbin case, then I take an old "oily" stiff brush (leftover from my ceramic shop days) and go round 'n round in it. Maybe that'll keep it going awhile longer. I've never noticed rust... Thanks a lot for the warning!

Barb said...

interesting. who knew?

CATHERINE DANIEL said...

Gosh - I never would have thought it would make that kind of difference! We won't tell anyone what you did! xCathy

AnnieO said...

I've never read this warning anywhere but certainly understand the possible results from your photos! How dear is a new bobbin case?

Merilyn said...

Thanks for the warning! I tend to blow into my machine frequently....never again........!!!!

Quilter Kathy said...

What a great tip!

CoCo Quilter said...

Never spit into your machine.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails