Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Fire Escape

This is a quick project.  Thin strips become 4-patches, the 4-patches join squares, and blocks alternate with strips that vary from 6" to 18" in length.  I'm making the twin-size version.  You may recognize this Atkinson Designs quilt as "Fire Escape."  Two of the fabrics have deer with Christmas bows around their necks, so this quilt begs to be named "Deer on the Fire Escape."  


I just had to see how the fabrics will look together, so onto the design wall they went. These are the first 5 vertical rows (out of 12).  The layout is not accurate.  The quilt is long, doesn't fit here, so many of the strips are overlapping.  The sections are not the same size, as this layout suggests.   We get impatient, don't we?  We can't wait till everything is together.  We want some early peeks to see if our choices are OK.
OOPS --I spy one 4-patch block turned the wrong way.  
happily fishing 25 years ago


I may finish the top by tomorrow.  Just 12 rows similar to these.  No outside border.  It'll be a nice, non-challenging quilt to work on, if the weather turns nasty.   We have rain forecast for a week, but only 30% chance most days.


Happy Birthday to our son.  His 30-something birthday is today.  He and his wife, their 2 children, and his sisters are back from a short trip to Spain, and I talked to them earlier today via Skype (7-hour time difference).   This is one of my favorite photos of him taken about 25 years ago.

12 comments:

Shirley said...

Can't wait to see that one finsihed Vivian. It looks great and I wouldn't have noticed the bit that was the wrong way round. Happy birthday to your son.

Merilyn said...

What an ingenious method to create that design, I haven't seen that before! Now, if it wasn't for the ooopsy! it would have taken me a lot longer to figure out the blocks and construction, it makes for a great layout, I like it!!!!
Happy birthday to your son!!

Julia said...

This one is interesting Vivian...it's different and looks great.
happy birthday to your son..it's my son's 51st birthday today...boy that makes me feel old.
Julia ♥

heather said...

That's a cute design.

Janet O. said...

What a unique design! I love designs with the look of chains.

Exuberant Color said...

Lucky you to have rain in the forecast. Ours is 90s every day starting Fri. and no rain. We have had only 2 showers all month so far.
I like that quilt pattern too!

Darlene said...

I love it, Vivian. Very unique design.

Mamma Bears Fault said...

I like your version of the "Fire Escape"! I have seen many that only utilize 2 or 3 differnt colors. Your choices really help the design pop!

AnnieO said...

Took me a minute to find that turned one :) but I really like the design. I've not made any of Terry's designs though know her name and patterns. Happy birthday to your son--cute photo of him. I know you wish you were there with them all, celebrating!

Dawn said...

What a fun pattern!
Hard to believe the kids are grown...the older photos are fun memories. His smile is great ;-)

Sharon said...

This is a neat design...love the colors! Wish we had rain in the forecast...I am tired of watering all ready! Happy Birthday to your son! We had 6 birthdays last week...whew!

Jean said...

I love this pattern. Looks so complicated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails