Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Two finishes, quickly gone

"Totally Square"
"Big Blossoms"

















 It didn't take very many hours to quilt these two tops with my HQ Sweet Sixteen. Bindings were sewn down and labels attached this morning, and now these two quilts are in new homes.  I gave them away to coworkers.
 
Several years ago, my boss let me have drawings at the end of department meetings, and in 2-1/2 years everyone in the department had won a quilt or a set of small wallhangings.  Since then, coworkers have left, a few have retired, and we have 11 new members in the dept.   I decided to do it again.  It's a positive way to end a sometimes "downer" meeting, and making this commitment pushes me to use my time more wisely. (I've been a slackard lately.  I know how much time I waste.)  I prefer that others enjoy my quilts, rather than seeing them gather dust on a shelf in my home.  Or worse yet, I forget I have them. 

Before the drawings today, I read the ground rules.  They include --
--if I bring 2 quilts, each lady gets two chances.  She can put both chances on one quilt or the other, split the chances between the quilts, or wait for another month.
--I'll bring a variety of colors, themes, styles, patterns--whatever I decide to make.  No one is to make a special request for something specific.  (No one objected when I said I might bring some older quilts. )
--No "buyer's remorse."  I warned them they probably will eventually see something else they'd like.  So only try to win something they'd like to own.  Once a name is drawn, they're done.  No more chances.
--eligible to enter the drawings after 6 months in the dept (two ladies have to wait till this summer)
--each winner must agree to have her photo taken
--each winner will receive care instructions and a ColorCatcher..
--each winner must Pay it Forward.  Within a month, she's to perform one Random Act of Kindness or anonymous good deed for someone who wouldn't expect it. 

This whole process energizes me, and the atmosphere in the dept meeting perked up and lightened up as we had the drawing.  Some meetings need that. 
Today's winners --
winner #1 -- Kelly
winner #2 -- Sue


16 comments:

AnnieO said...

Really great photos of the happy winners! Great thing you're doing there, morale wise. We have a very small staff and I've been working my way through them. The latest will be for my boss and his wife :)

Lynn said...

What a fun way to end a meeting!

Janet O. said...

Lucky, lucky coworkers! What a generous thing for you to do. I love your ground rules.
The quilts look great--I'd love to see more of the quilting on them, but I like what I can see.

Raewyn said...

What a great way to spread your love of quilting and happiness. Love that you have a PIF condition on the winners. Sounds like you're enjoying your Sweet 16.

Christine said...

Could I work with you please....

Anya said...

What a generous thing for you to do!

Lori said...

2 wonderful quilts and the winners look thrilled! Love your "rules"!!

Marie said...

I am so impressed! What a wonderful thing to do! I can barely get any finished for myself! :-)

M and M plus 3 said...

Girl you are such a generous person. They are lucky to have you in their department. Rock on GIRL!!!

Barb said...

what a great idea! You are so generous. The quilts turned out great and your co-workers look completely thrilled, and why not!

Jean said...

wow! you are one nice lady! It's a great idea and the pay it forward is good too, they can do the same for someone else.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a great idea! And very generous of you...gorgeous quilts!

LuAnn said...

You are just wonderful, and those two gals look so happy to have your beautiful quilts.

Dawn said...

Look at the happiness you provided!
Those smiles say it all.
Thanks for sharing with us ;-) can't help but smile right back.

Jan said...

Love your Totally Square quilt. I think your give away idea is genius.

Thriftyideastoday said...

I totally love your idea!!!! So many of us donate our quilts. and this is a perfect idea on getting people in a better mood and also something to talk about other than gossip.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails