Sunday, March 25, 2012
Ready for binding and the label
This will be done in time for a retirement party presentation this Wednesday. Deep in my box of preprinted labels, I found yardage of some elegant, feminine, all-neutral labels from RJR called "Valentine." I need a large label to have enough room for the info I want to put on it.
My HQ Sweet 16 quilting machine worked like a charm on this sizable project. The center medallion section, as far as the darker "woodpile" blocks, is quilted more tightly and densely than I had intended. It kind of got away from me. I don't mark anything. I just start quilting. And that's where it led me -- to very dense quilting.
By the time I realized what I was doing, I had to keep going. After that center section, I gradually decreased the density of the quilting. The edges of the quilt are lying flat, and there are no puffy or weird spots, so slowly decreasing the density of the quilting worked.
In the dark round of "woodpile" blocks, I stitched groups of arcs, row by row. They look like scallops or small-scale clam shells. In the 40 stars, I stitched double loops with a meandering line.
The outside border blocks have a single line of white, curving stitching through the white chain. Then I stitched "radio static" (a FMQ design by Leah Day), leaning left or leaning right in alternating sections.
I've packed up my neutrals and most of them will stay hidden for a while. But I definitely want to make another neutral quilt some day.