Friday, October 9, 2009

Stars in the Garden - Fall 2009 Blooger's Quilt Festival

This is my entry in Amy's Blogger's Quilt Festival. Be sure to go to her website for your connection to some great quilt stories and photos of memorable quilts. If you missed her first festival in April, it's literally an online quilt show extravaganza. Great fun! For the first festival, I wrote about a special quilt I made for my son (serving in Iraq).

I've mentioned this Q before, back when I first started blogging. This quilt now belongs to the local women's health center, where they display it during summer months.

This is the first quilt I made with my own ideas. I didn't just copy another quilt and change colors, as I usually do. It's an original, and I'm proud of it. I had the center panel for years, along with a group of blue & yellow coordinating FQs. The panel was featured in a magazine article the same year it was sold, but I decided to create something different.

As I went through books and magazines, looking for inspiration, I kept noticing one design idea. Stars were set on point and turned into groups of flowers. So I made sawtooth stars for 6 flower "bouquets." I added squares below the panel so the flowers would fit, added hourglass blocks along the top and bottom, setting triangles on the sides, and it was done.
I'm proud of my design, and I almost wish I'd kept it for myself. But that's the beauty of being a quilter. We can just make another one for ourselves.

28 comments:

Anya said...

Oh my, what a lovely quilt! Thanks for sharing...

Zonnah said...

It is beautiful!

Dorothy V said...

A great design - what a beautiful quilt!

Lurline said...

Your quilt is gorgeous and so creative - I can understand how you feel about giving it away!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Carol said...

Beautiful

Tamela said...

It is nice that your quilt is hung where alot of people can enjoy it!

Gina said...

What a fabulous quilt. I love the idea of the stars as flowers

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Me aka Supermom said...

This is fantastic!!

margaret
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

Serena said...

Beautiful Quilt!!

sibylle said...

Wow, great work!

Stacey said...

What a fantastic quilt!! I only wish I challenge myself to do something like that! It's terrific.

Stacey
Driving Miss Stacey
Sew Far Sew Good Quilt Shop

AnnieO said...

Very, very pretty, Vivian! How nice that all your designs fit together so well and the quilting is beautiful. A treasure.

Karen said...

You should be proud! That is one lovely quilt!

Linda said...

Absolutely wonderful job. Love the fact that you experimented, thus making the design uniquely you.

Julie Bagamary said...

What a wonderful use of a panel.

W. Latane Barton said...

I'm in love with that quilt. It is the most beautiful one I've seen in a long time. You did a great job.

Pat said...

I love to see blue and yellow in a quilt. Yours is absolutely stunning. Each block adds lots of interest. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Lonci said...

Quilt is wonderful:)

Rene' said...

I love your original design. It is beautiful. The colors are so happy. I am sure the women at the center enjoying admiring your quilt. Thanks for sharing.

P.S. Love the name of your blog...as I sit here looking at quilts with my coffee mug by my side.

Doris said...

I love those star flowers, Vivian. Just beautiful!

MARIKA said...

Very kind beautiful quilt
.Greeting Marika

Kay said...

The blue and yellow flowers are lovely!

I'm a former 4Her and junior high teacher myself--hooray for us!

Ariane said...

It's beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

karenfae said...

Very nice! I love the blue and yellow
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Beautiful quilt!

kameleonquilt said...

Your quilt is so beautiful. I am sure the people at the health center love looking at it, - I know I would. Thanks for sharing :-)

Doris said...

Vivian! You won one of the prizes from the Quilt Festival....CONGRATS!

Doris

Heather said...

That is absolutely stunning! Love the yellow/blue combination -- there's nothing more cheerful looking. And how generous of you to share it with the women's health center! Thanks for sharing it here, too. :o)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails