|my first pairs of 3-inch blocks for Barb's swap|
Barb has organized a simultaneous swap for two groups, one using bright fabrics, and the other using Civil War repro fabrics. We're following her excellent instructions (here) for making a pair of 9-patch blocks, beginning with two 4-1/2" squares, not strips. The process is easy to follow and very accurate. We'll be swapping pairs of blocks--dark and light fabrics in opposite spots in each. I'll use a small safety pin to keep each pair together.
Deadline is October 1, and I don't want to get behind. I don't have a Facebook account, so I probably won't be seeing many of the other blocks as they're finished. I'll just enjoy the surprise when 50 pairs of blocks show up in my mailbox this fall.
Our 50 sets don't have to be identical. I'm using various rust and black fabrics I like, as I find them in my stash. So far I've used some Jo Morton, a Windham line labeled 1830-1865, and the black is a Bonnie Blue Basic from Marcus Bros. (Double click photo for a close-up view.) The blocks are square, but the photo makes some look wonky and distorted.
I'm doing a good job this month actually cutting and sewing some CW repro fabrics. This is much better than leaving them inside bins or stacked on shelves.